Our First 'Rabbit' Recipe




I'm getting close to the end of editing Cooking with Rabbit. Maybe another couple of weeks to really put some final touches on it. So tonight was a good night to test-run one of the recipes. I picked the Grilled and Marinaded Garlic Rabbit. Ironically, we didn't have rabbit meat on hand. We haven't started processing yet. So I substituted chicken which is, like rabbit, a white meat. 

True to my nature, I raced into things and didn't read the directions thoroughly. They call for 'marinating' the meat after it's roasted. Marinade in my experience is something you do before cooking, so I did. Then I read the directions. I corrected the mistake by simply making a second batch of the marinade and soaking the chicken a second time after it was roasted. I can only think that enhanced the flavor.

Instead of the recommended side of white beans or potatoes, I used the same marinade mix to sautee onions, green onions, a green pepper, and thinly sliced yellow squash (unfortunately not from our garden, as two weeks of heavy rains sort of killed our squash). I've never used honey to saute before and wasn't sure if it would be a problem but mixed with the olive oil, it was just fine.


The marinade consisted of honey, olive oil, lemon juice (ideally freshly squeezed but we only had a lime so I used lemon juice from a bottle), and fresh rosemary and thyme. I had just trimmed the rosemary and thyme yesterday for drying herbs, but I took a little bit more. Next time, I might use a little bit more, but the flavor was quite good with what I put in. 

In future, I hope to be able to pick fresh garlic and fresh onions. The shallots are growing and I still have to plant the garlic. And, of course--we'll have rabbit meat! 

I'll definitely try it with the bacon or pancetta that the recipe calls for but I think that would have made it a heavier meal, one that might be desirable on a different kind of day. 

The whole thing came out great. It was an exceptionally hot (and very busy) day on our farm and this was a light meal, not too heavy, that was just perfect for such a day. 

I highly recommend it and look forward to tomorrow's experiment with a rabbit casserole. I currently have chicken marinating overnight in white wine for that! And maybe this time I'll read the directions entirely through before I make it!

For the whole recipe, see our Glenmirril FarmsGlenmirril Farms page.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If you liked this post, you might also like: 


Find my books at amazon:



Gabriel's Horn is accepting submissions for their next two anthologies:



Comments

Popular Posts