Books and Brews: a trip to Ireland with Tom Dahill and Ginny Johnson
Listen to today's program by clicking HERE.
Today's program was a lot of fun! Tom Dahill and Ginny Johnson joined us and we started the day with Irish music, Irish beer with expertise from Michael Agnew, Minnesota's first beer cicerone, and stories of Ireland.
As usual, the time flew by and we got nowhere near covering all the things I had planned to talk about, so I'll talk about some of them here, along with a recap of the show this morning and the music and beer sampled.
He and Ginny have been playing together for 11 years now and they started the program by playing The Lark in the Morning. In the second segment, I pulled out my flute and the three of us played The Maid Behind the Bar.
Tom read two excerpts from his book, that fit well with our discussion of both the many tragedies of history and the Irish humor. His first selection was about his radio program at a station on a reservation in Wisconsin, and how many of his listeners related to much of the Irish experience of oppression and discrimination. His second selection was a humorous account of men dressed as babies being raced around town in prams in some sort of drinking game that ranged across the town! I would love to have had time to hear quite a bit more! It's available at amazon. You can click on the image to the left to go straight to it.
I ran through a nutshell version of a thousand years of Irish history--Viking raids, famine, English rule, famine, flight of the earls, confederate wars, rebellion, Oliver Cromwell, discriminatory laws, the banning of Gaelic and wearing green, more famine.
- Smithwick's, an Irish red ale-style beer originally from
- Kilkenny, Ireland. (There's a song about Kilkenny, Ireland.)
- O' Hara's Irish Stout
- Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
- Lift Bridge Irish Coffee Stout (which comes from Stillwater, not Ireland!)
I liked the Smithwick's and Lift Bridge the best. Listen to the program to hear Michael speak about the qualities of each!
If you liked the bumper music, the pieces in order were taken from YouTube. You can find the full versions here:
The Minstrel Boy
Flight of the Earls
The Foggy Dew
Leaving of Liverpool
Next month, on April 29, my guest will be Andrew Coons, poet and writer from Savage, Minnesota.
- March 25, 2017: I will co-host Food Freedom on AM 950 with Laura Hedlund and Karen Olson Johnson. Guests: Michael Agnew, craft beer expert, Dr. Chris R. Powell on Irish literature. We'll taste Irish beer.
- Listen to January's program: poetry and coffee beer
- Listen to February's program: Russian literature and Russian beer
- March 20-24, 2017: Indie-Con, an online convention of indie authors in which I'll be participating with guest blogs, Q&A, and critiquing.
To learn more about my books, click on the images below.
If you would like to follow this blog, sign up HERE
If you like an author's posts, please click like and share
It helps us continue to do what we do
If you liked this article, you might also like
OR other posts under the