Shawn's Favorite Ham and Noodle Casserole

Carol gazes out the window at the passing countryside. Just as I stayed, to be near Shawn and Niall, it means everything to her simply to be here, where her son was, where she hopes he still is. I can’t tell her he is indeed here. Just not in this century. I hate withholding information. But I can’t tell this insane story to a grieving mother.

A ham and noodle casserole waits in the crock pot at home. She smiles. “Did you know this is my favorite?”

I remember Shawn going out of his way to make it for you once.” I serve up rich creamy noodles while she pours us water. I join her as she prays over her meal.

Lifting her head, she says, “You said you and Angus were working on a different angle.” I stare at my hands, not knowing what to say, and revert to the nervous habit of twisting my ring.

How unusual.” Carol’s heightened pitch breaks through my quest for a sane answer.

I glance up. She’s reaching to touch the red stone. Panic flutters in my heart.

You always wear such delicate jewelry. Can I see it?”

I can’t think of a reason to say no. With shaky hands, I slide it off my finger and push it across the table. Carol studies the wide gold band. “Where did you get it?”

Shawn.” I clear my throat. “Shawn gave it to me.”

Carol squints at the inscription inside. “Robert the Bruce?” She looks up. “Of Bannockburn fame?”
I nod guiltily, furiously wishing I’d learned anything from Shawn about making up stories.


From The Water is Wide
Book Three of The Blue Bells Chronicles


The Recipe

Thank you to Dena Rose, who prepared the original recipe I sent her, and tweaked it to improve it.


Ingredients:

16 oz egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups of diced ham
2 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of melted butter

SAUCE:
2 cups of sour cream
3/4 cup of milk
1 1/2 tablespoon of salt
1/2 tablespoon of pepper
1 tablespoon parsley flakes

TOPPING:
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1.4 cup of grated cheese (any kind)
1/4 cup of bread crumbs


In buttered casserole dish, mix cooked noodles with ham, parmesan cheese and melted butter. In two separate bowls combine SAUCE Ingredients and TOPPING ingredients.  Pour the sauce over the noodles and stir.  Sprinkle with topping. Bake, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes,

Feast and Food in the World of the Blue Bells Chronicles will be coming soon!

[We are in the last few days of the #giveaway.  Leave a comment at the GIVEAWAY blog to be entered.]

Comments

Popular Posts