Scotland through the Eyes of the Author: INTRO


Scotland through the Eyes of the Author

Saturday, October 14, 2017, was a big day for Gabriel's Horn!  Chris represented all our authors at the Minneapolis Book Festival put on each year by Rain Taxi, while I gave my presentation Scotland through the Eyes of the Author at Little Chute Library in Little Chute, Wisconsin, as part of the Fox Cities Book Festival--an event that is now in its tenth year and going strong!

It featured fifty authors and sixty-five events this past week.  It was well organized, and well attended and I really enjoyed being part of it.

Gabriel's Horn was featured on Facebook Live and traffic was great.  Many thanks to Emilie for her help while Chris and I had to split forces!



At 4:30 Friday morning, I was hauling approximately a hundred pounds of books, harps, lute, sackbut, and a deadly variety of medieval weapons to my car, and settling in for the drive to Appleton, Wisconsin.  On arriving, Callie Bates, a fellow Lawrence University alum, and I had lunch with the English students of Professor David McGlynn on Friday to talk about writing.  By a funny coincidence, Callie also plays harp!  How often do you find two harp-playing authors sitting at the same table?  (Well, excluding a harp convention maybe!)

I headed over to the Little Chute Library and was able to unload some of that hundred pounds of instruments, books, and weapons, and begin the set up for my presentation.  I realized that at 4:30 a.m. I had forgotten to grab the cloth I usually use to cover the tables.  So off I went to a thrift store where I found some good covers that made the demonstration look much better--and a giant sword!  Yes, you can find giant swords at thrift stores!  I noticed on leaving that the name was William Wallace's Value Village!  That explains a lot!

In the picture, I'm kneeling to try to give a sense of proportion to the size of the sword.

The presentation was fun and Angie at the library had everything running smoothly, including dealing with the discovery that my laptop and their projector didn't take the same size cords.  There was a couple who volunteered to help authors, who helped me set up, took pictures, and helped get that hundred pounds of equipment out of the way for the next speaker, and back to my car.  I have him to thank for all the pictures!

As I like to keep posts at an easy length to read--and as I would like a post specifically for those who are interested in what the presentation itself is about, please see the next post, with pictures and information.  READ ABOUT THE PRESENTATION HERE.

The Appleton Post Crescent ran a nice article on the Fox Cities Book Festival that featured pictures from my presentation.  READ IT HERE.

Interested in writing?  Would you like to take some classes?
~ ~ ~
If you like an author's blog posts, please consider liking and sharing
It helps us continue to do what we do.
Thank you!

If you are interested in writing, please take a look at some of my posts on the craft of writing:

Building Character: Understanding Others
Writing Prompts: Where is Everyone Going?

or other posts under the WRITING WORKSHOP and BUILDING CHARACTER labels.

For more on my books, click the images below:

Comments

Popular Posts